Friday, September 26, 2008

Sept 26th

This week was a crazy doctor week. I absolutely hate going to the doctors. I don't want to see them and I don't want to take any medications. With that in mind I will tell you about this week... On Monday I went to the oncologist. She gave me a Lupron shot that shuts down my ovaries. I have to have this shot every 4 months. She also gave me a prescription for some inhibitors. Because the tumor is estrogen feeding, we have to shut down all estrogen. I also have to get a bone density scan because the medication put my body into an early menopause, so I will start losing bone density. The shot and pills are going to happen for the next 5 years!!!! Immediately after that I went to the plastic surgeon. He was checking my expander. He said all looked good. I told him I was starting radiation next week, so we decided to deflate my expander. He put in a needle and withdrew 6 syringes full of fluid from my breast. Now there is nothing. It is now an empty balloon, very beautiful visually! I was not prepared for that at all. On Thursday I met with the radiologist. Today I go to the hospital to get my tattoos for the lasers so that the radiation is in the exact spot.
Summary: 5 days, 4 doctors, 4 new perscriptions, 1 shot, no boob!
My meaningless whining is over. This is a good outlet. I am on the last step. Radiation for 6 weeks and I am done, except for more lovely doctors appointments. It was a bad week, but it is over.
I didn't post for so long because I was so negative. I am back to normal (I think). It is all working and the family is good! Thanks again to everbody.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Angie, so glad for an update. I was anxious to hear what was happening. When I got my tatoos for radiation, they hurt so badly, I couldn't imagine why people would do that by choice.
Pretty hairy week for you(no pun intended). We have you on our temple prayer rolls and in ours, daily. thanks for the update. love you, aunt jan

Sabina said...

Ang, Thanks for the post on my blog the other day. It meant a lot to hear from you. I can totally relate to the early menopause and losing bone density. When I started running after the bone marrow transplant, I got stress fractures in my feet. When my bone density was tested, at age 24, I was already at medium-risk for fractures. Since then, I have been on Fosomax and HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). Don't feel bad about feeling negative at times. It is totally normal! Keep on keepin' on!!

Ang said...

wow tattoos, didn't you always want a tattoo?

i hope you know love you and are thinking about you all the time. we will be so glad when you are not going through this all the time! xxoo

~Ali said...

We saw Ryan yesterday. It was great to see him. He mentioned that last week was not the greatest, but didn't expound. Well, now I understand. That sounds horrible! I hope you're doing okay. We love you so much!!!!

Jessica said...

Ang...
I passed you yesterday in your burb and cute hat and started thinking about you so I thought I would check and see what was up!! Sorry for the bad week... and I am guessing Ryan has probably been gone a bit recruiting right? I know you would never call me to take the kids because you (or Ryan) think I have too many of my own.. but it would be like a big party!! I will just come and steal them one of these evenings when Eric is gone also! Besides... I am sure Mick and Rylan could find some competitive game to go up against each other (they are hilarious).
I hope you picked something cool for your tat!!!

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I don't think you know me; my name is Marilyn, and I am a neighbor of Joel and Joyce Gardner and Dean and Linda Roberts. Our mutual friend, Lisa Osguthorpe Baxter gave me your blog site to access because I am just beginning the whole breast cancer adventure. I had surgery on September 26th and am awaiting the pathology results that will dictate what the course of action from here on out will be.

Thanks for your candidness, your faith, and your example of strength and courage. Best wishes. . .

Baxter's said...

I emailed you with her email.