Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tues. 4/8

First of all I have to say Ryan gets husband of the year, he has done everything!
I am feeling much better now. Chemo is scheduled for Wed., April 16th. It is good timing (spring break), so it will work out well.
Today at school was "Cancer Awareness Day". Two of my friends put it together. They delivered pink handkerchiefs to every female in the school and we read a nice little poem. Then later in the class hour, we had a video announcement stating stats with cancer and how many women chose not to have chemo because of hair loss. Then, about 15 girls cut their hair for "Locks of Love". Some of the girls I knew, some I didn't. Most had beautiful long hair. As you can imagine it was extremely emotional for them. They were crying, I was crying. As 3rd period started I had a student ask if she could be excused to go get her hair cut. She left and I followed shortly after. There was a line of girls and boys to cut their hair. We had a student with cancer there, a mom in recovery and two girls that had recently lost their mother their to help collect the hair. The total was about 70 girls and 2 boys (I think)!!! Most of my volleyball girls cut their hair. Needless to say, it was overwhelming. It was an awesome experience. I am horrible at expressing emotion, and can't thank Jamie and Becky and all the girls that donated their hair enough.
One check mark in the positive column for this life experience!

7 comments:

~Ali said...

Oh my goodness, I got chills as I read this. What an amazing experience. Something that probably words couldn't even express. That is one of the neatest stories I have heard. That should be on Oprah!! :)

Good luck next week. WE LOVE YOU!!

Jessica said...

Holy Cow - That is seriously amazing. Totally brought tears to my eyes. What an awesome experience in such a hard time. Good luck next week!

Ang said...

that is the most wonderful story i have ever heard & made even more powerful because that it was inspired by the most amazing sister-in-law. your influence and quiet strength clearly inspires all. we love you and know that you are going to be fine!! no person has ever had so many people pulling for them...

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

This is the most amazing story! You are a great example to not only your students, but to all of us!

suzanne said...

Hey Ang -
Eric and Suz here.

This is such a special story. I have a feeling you will be having many wonderful experiences while beating this horrible disease.

You are such a rock and an inspiration to our entire family.

We love you and Ryan.

Baxter's said...

Ang and Ryan, Lisa Oz here... I just found out, and want you to know we are praying for you. I am sure you are hearing lots of well wishes...know I will be checking on you and thinking about you. Hang in there...love you....Lisa

Kat said...

What an awesome experience. You are a HUGE source of strength for those girls and I know they would do it all over again. Good luck next week, as always, your fam is in our thoughts and prayers.